I just tried to email a PowerPoint I was working on to a colleague for some feedback and realized, to my horror, that the file size was over 80MB. Obviously, that won’t do.
After digging around, I came to the conclusion that the massive amount of images I was using in the file had to be the issue. Going through and manually resizing each image seemed like too much of a chore though, certainly there had to be a better way. Luckily, there is!
In PowerPoint 2016 for Mac do the following:
- Click on an image - any image will do
- Select “Picture Format”
- Select “Compress Pictures”
- Select the picture quality from the dropdown
- Ensure “Delete cropped areas of pictures” is selected
- Choose to perform this action on the selected image(s) or all of them
- Click OK
And there you have it. After doing this one simple step, my file size went from over 80MB to around 7MB. Not too shabby.